- Barn Quilt Workshop with Renee Brooks (3’x3′)(QS921)
- Sep Fri - Sep Sat
- 09:00 AM - 03:00 PM
Alla Prima Portraits Using the Zorn Palette with Robin Wellner
Workshop Supply List
Portraits are challenging — but so rewarding! Simplifying your color palette to just three colors and white will give you freedom to focus on other details in portraiture. Anders Zorn’s limited palette offers a beautiful range of skin tones and you’re virtually guaranteed color harmony in your painting.
In painting the model from life, we will focus on measuring to get a likeness, facial features, values, painting shapes instead of lines and of course – color!!! Using only four colors: white, yellow ochre, Cadmium red medium and Ivory black we can achieve virtually any skin tone.
I’ll ask you all to do some homework before the workshop. I’d like you to prepare a color chart based on the Zorn Palette. I’ve prepared a YouTube video with complete instructions at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=zorn+palette+color+chart+wellner This will help you become familiar with all the colors available using this palette. Please bring your chart with you to the workshop.
We will start each morning with instruction and a demo, painting the model “alla prima” (wet-on-wet) from life. After lunch you will all have the opportunity to paint the model with lots of one-on-one instruction and gentle critiquing. There is nothing like painting from life! Even if you choose to paint from photos in the future, painting from life will give you valuable information that will help you in your work.
- Robin Wellner
Robin Wellner is an avid painter of people as well as landscapes and Plein air. Her fascination with painting faces has lead her to numerous national awards and inclusion in national shows with the American Women Artists, Oil Painters of America and Richeson 75 Figure and Portrait International Show. She maintains a practice of painting from life on a weekly basis in Charlotte, NC where she and her husband reside. Her training evolved from Fine Arts in college to numerous workshops with renowned artists such as Dawn Whitelaw, Robert Liberace, Rich Nelson, Chris Saper and numerous others.
Her focus includes figurative and portrait painting as well as plein air landscapes. Her awards include:
- Finalist in the Richeson 75 Figure and Portrait 2017 Show
- Meretorious Richeson 75 Figure and Portrait 2017 Show
- Accepted in American Women Artist’s Juried Online Spring 2017 Show
- Accepted into the Oil Painters of America’s National Exhibition 2016
- Finalist Richeson 75/ Figure and Portrait Show 2016
- Meritorius Richeson 75/Figure and Portrait Show 2016
- Meritorius Richeson 75/Animal, Birds and Wildlife 2016
- Selected to participate in the Mint Museum “Art in the Garden”2016,2017
- Finalist American Women Artists National Juried Show 2015, Meretorius Recognition
- Finalist American Women Artists 2015 Online Show
- Selected for Carolina’s Got Art Elder Gallery 2015
- Selected as one of 30 artists to participate in the 2015 Piedmont Paint Out Plein Air Event. Received “Artists Choice” Award
- Finalist in the Richeson 75/Figure and Portrait Show 2015
- Honorable Mention, “Colton’s Choice” award and “People’s Choice” Award, Matthews Art Guild, 2015 Matthews Alive Festival
- Finalist in the Artist’s Magazine 2014 Over 60 Competition
- Finalist in the Richeson 75/ Animals Birds and Wildlife 2013